Photo Gallery

Custer #1 Campground

Name: Custer #1 Campground

Custer #1 Campground is set on the hills well above the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River, about 1.9 miles past the historic city of Custer, Idaho. The mountains around here reach as high as Custer Lookout sitting at 9,753 feet. If you are up to a steep hike, only a short drive up the road there is a trailhead which leads to Custer Lookout.

Campsites: There are 6 tent / RV Camping sites. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit with an attached grill. The road and driveways are gravel. The forest in the campground is mature but thin, so the shaded areas are hit and miss. However, since the elevation here is about 6700 feet one shouldn't need as much shade.

Host on Site: No.

Water: There is no potable water available.

Garbage Services: No garbage service, you will need to pack it out with you.

Electricity Available: No.

Restroom: There is a vault style outhouse which was clean and well stocked.

Handicap Accessible: The outhouse is handicap accessible.

Firewood: You will need to provide your own firewood.

Pets: Pets are required to be kept on a leash.

Picnic Area: There is no picnic area in Custer #1 Campground, but since there is no fee you can use any of the available campsites for your picnics.

Recreation: Recreation in the area around Custer includes sightseeing the historic ghost towns of Bonanza and Custer. Custer is developed as a museum which we found quite interesting. There is also the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge which was even more interesting to me. Activities such as camping, biking, backpacking, fishing and photography are available in the nearby mountains. If you are considering a little prospecting for gold, do your research as many of the claims are still active.

Fishing: Check the regulations from a link on our Idaho Fishing page.

Boating: No boating here, rafting and kayaking are popular down on the main Salmon River near Sunbeam.

Swimming: The Yankee Fork of the Salmon River is large enough for you to find a swimming hole; however, Custer #1 Campground is far up hill from the river. I remember seeing a load of campers in their swim suits driving down toward the river.

Wildlife: Deer, elk and bear are common in this area. Mountain goat and mountain lions are here but are harder to find. Wolves have moved in in recent years, too. We saw a fox up by Eightmile Campground that had caught a cottontail rabbit. He hadn't even started to eat it yet.

Additional Camping Opportunities: Check out our reviews for these nearby campgrounds; Blind Creek Campground, Flat Rock Campground, Pole Flat Campground and Eightmile Campground. There are many free primitive campsites scattered along the river in this area. Our map shows a campground named Graylock Campground but we couldn't find it.

Phone service: Stanley, Idaho has both a pay phone and cell phone reception. Challis, Idaho, to the east would also have both.

Nearby Services: Stanley is my choice for picking up those camping supplies you might run out of. You could also drive east on Hwy 75 past Clayton to a gas station/convenience store a couple miles down the highway.

RV Dumping Site: There is a RV dumping station south of Stanley.

Location/Driving instructions: Custer #1 Campground is located up the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River 11.9 miles from Sunbeam, Idaho. Traveling from Stanley, drive 13.0 miles NE on Hwy 75 toward Challis to Sunbeam. Turn left onto Yankee Fork Road and drive 11.9 miles. You will pass the historic town of Custer and the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge.

Coordinates: 44.399131,-114.664009

Elevation: 6700 Feet

Reviewed Date: July 2010

Fees And Reservations: No reservations, this is a first come, first serve campground. In May 2017 the overnight fee is $5.

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

7 Day forecast for Custer #1 Campground

High: 54°FHigh: 56°FHigh: 59°FHigh: 63°FHigh: 68°FHigh: 68°FHigh: 67°F
Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Possible drizzle in the afternoon and evening.Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Partly cloudy throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.
35% chance of rain65% chance of rain60% chance of rainNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the day
Low: 33°F Low: 34°F Low: 37°F Low: 33°F Low: 34°F Low: 35°F Low: 35°F
Powered by Dark Sky


Michael S Atwell:

When I was a kid I went there going to go and take my kids there was one of the best experiences I ever had must go and see