Photo Gallery

Upper Payette Lake Campground

Name: Upper Payette Lake Campground

Upper Payette Lake Campground is set on the western shore of Upper Payette Lake with Cougar Creek splitting the campground in two. The area is forested with underbrush. There are mountains all around the lake which provide a beautiful setting to camp in. We enjoyed camping here. It was a scenic drive down to and around Payette Lake to McCall. There are many places to shop or eat if you want to get away from the camp for awhile. The mountains hide several small lakes one could hike in to if you are inclined to hiking.

Campsites: There are 20 RV / tent camping sites. Seven are double sites which have a double width parking area and two tables with a fire pit all set in pavement. Thirteen are single sites having one table and a fire pit and three are pull-throughs. The map is very detailed so check it out.

Host on Site: Yes, they were very nice!

Water: Water is available from a hand pump and was very good.

Garbage Services: This is a pack it in, pack is out campground, no garbage services available.

Restroom: There are two vault style outhouses. We have visited 175 campgrounds in Idaho this year and this campground's bathrooms were by far the nicest. They were clean and well stocked. The host has installed battery powered lights, magazine racks, posters on the walls and flowers inside and out. The deodorizers were very pleasant. Finally, they have a book exchange in the back door of the lower outhouse! Amazing!

Handicap Accessible: Yes, the outhouses and sites are handicap accessible.

Firewood: Free at the host, at least for 2010.

Pets: Pets are allowed on a leash.

Picnic Area: There is a day use area by the boat ramp.

Recreation: The obvious activity is camping but there is much more. Hiking, fishing, huckleberry picking, bike riding, photography, bird watching, hunting in the fall, backpacking into the many small lakes nearby and more.

Fishing: Upper Payette Lake is a "Family Fishing Water". It is stocked with trout regularly. Check out the regulations on our fishing page.

Boating: There is a boat ramp on the south edge of the campground with a large parking lot.

Swimming: There isn't a designated swimming area but I am sure people do swim in the lake.

Wildlife: In this area you could see deer, bear, elk, moose, and many species of birds. And if one were lucky there are cougars and mountain sheep.

Additional Camping Opportunities: There are semi developed/undeveloped sites along the road from the sign on into the campground if you prefer free camping outside of the campground. Check out our review for Hazard Lake Campground.

Phone service: No cell or landline service is available here. McCall is 15 miles south and would have cell reception and pay phones.

Nearby Services: The nearest services would be found at McCall, Idaho.

RV Dumping Site: RV dumping is available at McCall.

Location/Driving instructions: From downtown McCall, Idaho travel west on W. Lake St.(Hwy 55) to Warren Wagon Rd. on your right. Turn right on Warren Wagon Rd and follow it for about 15 miles. The sign and entrance is on the left . Upper Payette Lake Campground is at the end of the gravel road about half a mile down.

Coordinates: 45.124788,-116.028704

Elevation: 5593 Feet

Reviewed Date: September 2010

Fees And Reservations: 10 of these sites may be reserved at recreation.gov. Doubles are $15.00 and singles are $10.00 per day. Firewood was available and free both times we visited Upper Payette Lake Campground.

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

7 Day forecast for Upper Payette Lake Campground

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
High: 34°FHigh: 39°FHigh: 43°FHigh: 41°FHigh: 42°FHigh: 46°FHigh: 37°F
Possible light rain in the evening.Possible light rain overnight.Possible light rain in the morning and afternoon.Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Partly cloudy throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Partly cloudy throughout the day.
86% chance of rain64% chance of rain78% chance of rain22% chance of rain5% chance of snow6% chance of rain54% chance of rain
Low: 27°F Low: 27°F Low: 33°F Low: 22°F Low: 19°F Low: 30°F Low: 27°F
Powered by Dark Sky

Comments

Hamilton:

Beautiful hiking trail with little bridge and water fall across from this peaceful campground.  Definitely one of my favorite campgrounds.
01/17/2019

Be The First To Comment!

Your E-mail will NEVER be given away for any reason!