Photo Gallery

Mormon Bend Campground

Name: Mormon Bend Campground

Mormon Bend Campground is set along the Salmon River on Hwy 75 between Stanley and Challis, Idaho. The river is down in a steep valley with many level II, III and IV class rapids. The two most popular activities for campers here are fly fishing and rafting. We have a friend who comes here often for the fly fishing. The hills about are mostly covered with forest, but the campground area has only a few trees scattered about.

Campsites: There are 15 tent / RV camping sites. Each has a picnic table and fire ring with attached grill. Some have a sand filled tent square. The road and driveways are paved. Most are open with a grassy setting along the Salmon River. Some have a tree or two.

Host on Site: Yes. He was a bit gruff but warmed up. I would feel my campsite was safer with him about.

Water: Potable water is available from a hand crank equipped well. The wells in this area have had a metallic taste so I did not taste this one.

Garbage Services: Yes, garbage service is available in bear resistant dumpsters. There are bear warnings, so be wise and use caution with your garbage and food storage.

Electricity Available: No.

Restroom: There is a vault style outhouse, and it was clean and well stocked.

Handicap Accessible: Yes, the campground overall is handicap friendly from the outhouses to the sites.

Firewood: Is available from our helpful camp host for $6.00 per bundle. Each bundle is sized right for one fire.

Pets: Pets are allowed but must be on a leash.

Picnic Area: No.

Recreation: Recreational activities include camping, fishing, rafting, kayaking, hiking, fly fishing, photography and more.

Fishing: Fly fishing is very popular on this stretch of the Salmon River. Check the regulations from a link on our Idaho Fishing Review page.

Boating: Rafting and kayaking are popular along the Salmon River.

Swimming: The river is fast, so most of us would not consider swimming here.

Wildlife: Deer, elk, bear, wolves and many species of birds live in the area. Watch your dogs as wolves think of them as competition.

Additional Camping Opportunities: Check out our reviews for these nearby campgrounds; Salmon River Campground, Casino Creek Campground, Riverside Campground, Blind Creek Campground, Upper O'Brien Campground and Lower O'Brien Campground. I did not notice any free primitive camp sites in this area.

Phone service: The nearest pay phone or cell reception is at Stanley, Idaho.

Nearby Services: Stanley, Idaho, is only 6.7 miles SW. There is a store for food, ice, pop and other such supplies. There are also several shops, hotels and a gas station/convenience store.

RV Dumping Site: There is a RV dumping station just south of Stanley.

Location/Driving instructions: Mormon Bend Campground is on Hwy 75 NE of Stanley, Idaho, only 6.7 miles. It is on the river side which would be on your right if coming from Stanley.

Coordinates: 44.262400,-114.842053

Elevation: 6108 Feet

Reviewed Date: July 2010

Fees And Reservations: Mormon Bend Campground is a first come, first serve campground, no reservations available. Double sites are $26.00, singles are $13.00, and your extra vehicle stays for free.

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

7 Day forecast for Mormon Bend Campground

High: 58°FHigh: 60°FHigh: 62°FHigh: 65°FHigh: 70°FHigh: 71°FHigh: 70°F
Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Possible drizzle in the afternoon and evening.Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Partly cloudy throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.
33% chance of rain60% chance of rain40% chance of rainNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the dayNo precipation during the day
Low: 34°F Low: 32°F Low: 37°F Low: 32°F Low: 33°F Low: 34°F Low: 33°F
Powered by Dark Sky