Photo Gallery

Castle Creek Campground

Name: Castle Creek Campground

Castle Creek Campground is on the South Fork of the Clearwater River not far from Grangeville, Idaho. It is very similiar to South Fork Campground but not quite as picturesque. The campground is well shaded with pines and has thick undergrowth. In this area, the southern exposed hills are mostly bare while the valleys and northern exposures are forested. The elevation here is approximately 2300 feet.

Campsites: Castle Creek has 9 tent / RV campsites. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring with an attached grill. Most campsites have double width driveways. 1, 2 and 3 are across the creek from 4 through 9. 1 and 2 are the most secluded, 5 and 6 are very close together, while 9 is right on the river.

Host on Site: Yes, but the host is housed at nearby South Fork Campground.

Water: Yes, and it was pretty good water.

Garbage Services: Yes, there is garbage service available.

Electricity Available: No.

Restroom: There is a newer vault style outhouse which was clean and well stocked.

Handicap Accessible: Yes, the outhouse is handicap accessible and the road and driveways are paved.

Firewood: You will need to provide your own firewood.

Pets: Must be on a leash.

Picnic Area: None at Castle Creek but there are 3 picnic sites downstream a few miles.

Recreation: Camping, fishing, bird and wildlife watching, floating the river, photography and hiking are all recreations available here.

Fishing: Check the regulations for the salmon, steelhead and trout season and restrictions for the South Fork of the Clearwater River and other streams which are nearby.

Boating: No boat access from Castle Creek Campground.

Swimming: No, but if you play in the water, be careful.

Wildlife: We saw a whitetail doe upstream, birds everywhere, and several ground squirrels in the campground. Watch for rattlesnakes as they live around here.

Additional Camping Opportunities: We have reviews for these 2 nearby campgrounds; South Fork Campground and Leggett Creek Campground. There is another small campground nearby but I missed getting pictures for it.

Phone service: None here but Grangeville has both cell reception and pay phones available.

Nearby Services: Grangeville, Idaho, offers both the services and supplies a camper might need such as gas, food, pop, propane and much more.

RV Dumping Site: The Bear Den RV Resort at mile post 239 on Hwy 95 just west of Grangeville offers the nearest RV dumping station. They charge $5.00 to use it.

Location/Driving instructions: From Grangeville, Idaho, take W. Main St to a right turn onto Mt. Idaho Road. Mt. Idaho Road becomes Mt. Idaho Grade Road in .2 miles. Follow Mt. Idaho Grade Road for 9.4 miles to another right turn onto ID Hwy 14 East. Mt Idaho Grade Road is rather steep so be prepared. Take Hwy 14 East about 6.1 miles to Castle Creek Campground which will be on your right.

Coordinates: 45.828476,-115.967961

Elevation: 2290 Feet

Reviewed Date: June 2010

Fees And Reservations: Castle Creek is not reservable. As of April 2017 campsites cost $12.00 per day with $3.00 for your extra vehicle.

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

7 Day forecast for Castle Creek Campground

SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
High: 36°FHigh: 36°FHigh: 37°FHigh: 41°FHigh: 43°FHigh: 42°FHigh: 47°F
Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Foggy throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Overcast throughout the day.Overcast throughout the day.Overcast throughout the day.
41% chance of snow45% chance of snow14% chance of snow7% chance of snow7% chance of snow58% chance of rain55% chance of rain
Low: 27°F Low: 24°F Low: 17°F Low: 20°F Low: 27°F Low: 29°F Low: 37°F
Powered by Dark Sky

Comments

Be The First To Comment!

Your E-mail will NEVER be given away for any reason!