Photo Gallery

Cholla Recreation Site

Name: Cholla Recreation Site

Cholla Recreation Site is located on the hills above the western shore of Roosevelt Lake. Roosevelt Lake is the largest lake in Arizona other than Lake Meade. Mountains surround Roosevelt Lake and are covered by sonoran desert. Sadly large areas of the desert to the south were burned recently and signs of repair were found along the highway. Cholla Recreation Site has the distinction of being the largest solar-powered campground in the US.

Campsites: Cholla Campground has 206 campsites for tents or RVs. Each campsite has a shade ramada, fire pit, grill and picnic table. The roads are paved while the sites are gravel.

Host on Site: Yes

Water: Yes, there is a pressurized system with water hydrants scattered throughout the campground.

Garbage Services: Yes

Electricity Available: No

Restroom: Depending on the loop the restrooms will either have flushing toilets of a vault style outhouse both will have lavs with running water. Cane loop - Vault Style, Teddy Bear, Buckhorn and Staghorn loops are flushing toilets.

Handicap Accessible: The restrooms are handicap accessible.

Firewood: Firewood maybe purchased from your camp host.

Pets: Pets must be on a leash when not in your RV.

Picnic Area: There is no picnic area in the campground but there are others around the lake.

Recreation: Fishing would be the primary recreational activity but we visited the Tonto National Monument. Tours of the caves were closed at the time but the video and info at the Visitors Center was very interesting. There is a nice playground for the kids located in the campground.

Fishing: Fishing is popular in Roosevelt Lake for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Channel and Flathead Catfish.

Boating: Yes, there are multiple boat ramps around the lake.

Swimming: I didn't see a swimming beach.

Hiking: There are many Day Hikes available and you may find them on the Day Hike page at Tonto National Forest.  Hike.  

Wildlife: We saw javlinas but one might see deer, bald eagles and many other animals.

Additional Camping Opportunities: Campgrounds on Roosevelt Lake include Schoolhouse Point, Windy Hill, Frazier and Indian Point.

Nearby Services: There is a gas station and convenience store south on Hwy 188 a few miles and another store in Roosevelt itself. Most services will be found 38 miles to the southwest at Globe, AZ.

RV Dumping Site: Yes

Nearest Shower: The showers were closed due to Covid 19 but will be open soon hopefully.

Nearest Laundry: Globe, AZ

Location/Driving instructions: Here is a GoogleMap from Pheonix.

Coordinates: 33.723496,-111.204627

Elevation: 2240 Feet

Reviewed Date: October 2020

Fees And Reservations: Campsites were $25 at the time of our visit. For the current fee schedule and to reserve your campsite checkout

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

7 Day forecast for Cholla Recreation Site

High: 92°FHigh: 91°FHigh: 92°FHigh: 90°FHigh: 86°FHigh: 86°FHigh: 84°F
Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Possible light rain overnight.Mostly cloudy throughout the day.Clear throughout the day.Partly cloudy throughout the day.
No precipation during the day12% chance of rain29% chance of rain59% chance of rain59% chance of rain17% chance of rain28% chance of rain
Low: 65°F Low: 66°F Low: 69°F Low: 67°F Low: 63°F Low: 58°F Low: 59°F
Powered by Dark Sky


Be The First To Comment!